Sunday, 30 March 2014

True Blue


Hi everyone!

What a wonderful weekend it has been. The sun has been shining and I spent the weekend back up north visiting my parents. It has been amazing to completely chill out and I now feel ready for whatever the new week has to offer.

While out with my dad yesterday, I popped into the Body Shop with the intention of buying some new eyeshadow. I bought the Shimmer Cubes in shade 06 Warm last year and have used them for many an evening out. The colours are perfectly matched so there's no faffing around trying to find different shades to blend together. However, this time I decided to step a little out of my comfort zone and inject some colour into my make up bag. The palette I opted for is 22 Green (R.R.P £16), a beautiful mix of turquoises and sea blues.

I have avoided blue eyeshadow for years out of fear of looking like a teen model in 'Shout' magazine, but have seen others wear it beautifully so was inspired to try it again myself.

To create this look, I used the following items:

Left to right:
Eyeshadow brush (Body Shop)
Eyeliner (MAC in Feline)
Eyeshadow (Body Shop Shimmer Cubes in 22 Green)
Mascara (L'Oreal Volume Million Lashes Diamantissime)
Liquid Eyeliner (Collection 2000 Fast Stroke Eyeliner)

I used the lighter shade over my whole eyelid, not forgetting the inner corner towards my nose. Then, I worked my way from about the middle of my eyelid to the outside layering up gradually darker shades and blending the colours together. When using the darkest shade on the far side of the lid I found that, by using a flicking motion with the eyeshadow brush from the eyelashes outwards with my eyes open, I was able to drag the colour past the eyelid crease and towards the eyebrow in one single, smooth movement. After some more blending, I then polished off with liquid eyeliner.

Once the eyelid was complete, I used an eyeshadow brush to put the darkest eyeshadow shade underneath my eye to avoid the colour looking too top heavy. I then used a black eyeliner pencil on my waterline and softened the line by blending into the eyeshadow with the eyeshadow brush. To complete the look, I used L'Oreal Million Lashes Diamantissime on my top and bottom lashes. I got this mascara for Christmas and it's perfect for adding a touch of sparkle to your eyes and finishing off an evening make up look.



I am by no means a make up artist but I'm happy with how my first attempts with blue eyeshadow have turned out. Practise makes perfect as they say, and I hope to experiment with more colours in the coming months.

Have you tried any eyeshadow palettes recently that you think deserve some love? Holla at me!

Want more? Follow me on twitter @jobancroft or on facebook.

1 comment:

  1. It looks really nice! I am also too afraid to try blue eyeshadow, almost bought the Wet N Wild cloud nine trio today but then I chickened out.

    ReplyDelete